As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cheering on the Young Fighters

I've attended numerous professional boxing bouts here at the Hershey Centre but today I was personally invited to come out and cheer on some amateur boxers.
My boxing club, Hardknocks, is home to MJKO and today some of their fighters had scheduled bouts.  MJKO is a nonprofit boxing club for kids under the age of 18.
Killer Bee, an amateur fighter I once sparred with out in Oshawa had invited me today.  Her daughter, Eve of Destruction, was scheduled to fight today but at last minute her opponent canceled the fight.  She was sick.  I joked and told her that the real truth was she had intimidated her opponent so much.
We didn't get to see the Eve of Destruction destruct her opponent but she and her coach stepped into the ring to show the crowd her skills -- show everyone how she can destruct and destroy padwork.  Mission accomplished.  Everyone was impressed.
Snapped a shot with Killer Bee and Eve of Destruction's coach, Coach Adrian.
He's a proud coach and I have mad respect for him.  He loves what he does, coaching, and he totally believes in his fighters.
James Town Boxing and me posing for one last picture.
I really need to get out to Oshawa and visit this boxing club crew more often.  They've got such great positive energy and I'm all for encouraging the young fighters and especially the female fighters.

No comments: