As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, September 23, 2016

A Pocketful of Sunshine... Friday, September 23

I got my first chunky paycheck today – a paycheck for the past 2 weeks of coaching at the female-only club.  I get paid in cash so I felt so damn rich walking out of the gym with that much money in my bag.  I know it’s not much to the average worker but I’m a starving athlete and I’ve been so starving that on some days I steal apples and milk from Food Basics, it’s true.  The money I get from Korea pays for my rent, my TTC monthly and leaves me with about enough loose change to get a Starbucks coffee.  I used to pick up random other jobs, like extra work in commercials and personal training for cash to cover my groceries but it’s so infrequent so I hold on to my money and only spend it on necessities.  But there it was today, a chunk of cash in my hands.  I folded the load and stuffed it into my pocket.  And with a pocket full of cash, I headed out to get stuff that I needed but hadn’t the money to buy.

My list of things I need/really want to buy with this paycheck:
new running shoes
new collar for Balboa
hair appointment – dye and cut
lip gloss
nail polish
liquid eyeliner
new high heel shoes
agility ladder
facial lotion

I’m desperately needing two pairs of shoes – runners for when I’m coaching and heels for going out, church.  A third pair will be needed soon, runners for running.  I got new runners today, downtown at the Eaton Centre, and I scored a big discount.  They were already at 40% off and then I scored an additional 10% off because they were the last pair. 

I really wanted to buy a new collar for Balboa.  He’s been so good to me and I wanted to buy him a cool leather one with metal spikes on it.  I went on quite the hunt for such a collar, travelled all the way to Bloor West Village but had no such luck. 


I didn’t end up buying everything on my list, didn’t even buy half of the things.  Am still very careful with my money.  “Save it for a rainy day”, like my dad used to say.  

No comments: