As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

I'm Looking to Leave... Sunday, September 25

I’m thinking about changing churches.  It’s something that I’ve been pondering for about a month now because of something that happened.  It wasn't a big something but it was kind of something that made me better realize something was missing and it made me better pin point what that missing thing was.  I do really like my current church.  Everyone is super friendly to me, they have numerous events, I like the guest speakers they bring in and even have my favourite, and it's a small, intimate congregation but something is lacking for me.  Today I realized what it was -- a year of being at my current church and I still feel like an outsider among those my age. I know many of the members have been attending for years and many of the young people grew up going there but I haven’t and I kind of feel that I have to compete with that when it comes to being included.


I’m not one of them.  There is them and then there is me. I’m that girl that comes alone, sits alone at the end of the pew, and then leaves alone.  I mingle after church but it's not until the next Sunday when I see them again that any socializing really happens and I know I'm partly to blame but I more or less gave up doing so some time ago.


I feel like my church situation in Korea is repeating itself here except they all speak English to me.


I gave it a year, I think that’s a fair run.


Today I attended my buddy Mr.T’s church.  I know him from System Fitness.  Today was the second time I’ve attended actually,  the first time was for Mother’s Day when I came with my dad.  They had their youth choir perform and it was so awesome, really great.  The last time I was there they had a men’s choir sing and it made me get emotional because the song seemed to be written specifically about my mom.  Today their youth choir, called Chosen Generation, gave me serious goose bumps.  My friend, Mr.T, gave the sermon today and it was pretty great to see him in this role, doing what he loves and sharing the word.  He’s like that at System though and by that I mean he’s always sharing encouragement and telling people God’s blessed him and whatnot.  He packs so much positivity in him, it’s so amazing because he once hit a bad bottom.  He’s always telling people he should be dead by now and, after listening to some of his stories, I know he’s right.  He is blessed, God did a miracle on him, and that’s the only way to explain why he’s alive.



The service was beautiful today, it was the other time that I came too, but it was different for me this time because I had came alone.  Some ladies recognized me from my first visit while others introduced themselves and gave me hugs.  They’re just such a beautiful cluster of friendly, happy people and I left the service feeling so refreshed and full of fresh energy. 

No comments: