As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Now to Figure Out How to Tell Everyone... Monday, September 24

Another new week and already it's becoming loaded with newness -- a new church, new hair cut/dye job, and even a new roommate is coming.

Another new thing is my decision to go back to Korea.
 
I haven't really told anyone about it, about my decision to go, because it was just decided upon late last night.  I have to stay in Canada until November 30th for Team Blue's fights at Masonic Temple but then I really don't have anything in my schedule that I have to necessarily be here for.  I have my coaching gigs that are ongoing but I'm sure I can put that on hold or figure something out.  I'm not going back for good, gosh no, but instead am simply going back for a visit. 

The hope is to tough it out for 2-3 weeks, "celebrate" Christmas there, and then return to Canada.

Snickers wants me to sell all my stuff, get rid of my apartment and fold up Flipside Fitness here to come back but he's living in a fantasy world if he thinks that will actually go down.  I don't think he remembers how bad things got when I was there.  He seems to have forgotten all the bad times and all the extenuating circumstances and issues that made life for me there hard -- life with him and his family, life with the lack of my family and my close friends. 
 
I almost lost myself in Korea and I don't think he realizes that or wants to really acknowledge it.  He thinks time heals all wounds and it does but it doesn't mean that the scars left behind don't serve to remind you to not do things again.  I can't do life in Korea again.  My wounds haven't yet scarred over.  I told him I could agree to a visit but nothing lengthy.  I have a part time job, Flipside Fitness, and an apartment here that I have responsibility and commitments with.  I've started to make a life for myself here and I'm not about to give it up for the promise of something back in Korea, something that I think is all fluff and no substance -- a fantasy. 

I live in the real.  Canada is real to me.

No comments: