As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Getting Ready for Bigger Things... Thursday, November 24

The countdown is officially on.  Unofficially disclosed to others beyond the immediate it involves.
 
There's a countdown for Florida and one for the Philippines so I guess I should correct the above sentence and write that the countdowns are officially on -- plural countdowns.  I could, I should, and I would but I won't.  I think it's safe to say the countdown for me heading out to the Philippines for training is the one everyone seems to be concerning themselves about.  I haven't even told my father or my business partner (Snickers) in Korea of the Philippines and, consequently, have decided that until I tell them both I'm not going to let it be known to others.  There's a lot of things to figure out before I release the news and have a zillion and one questions to answer that I can't answer because quite honestly I'm still trying to not only figure it out but digest the big jump I'm about to take. 
 
The other day I sat down and listed to a particular someone make phone calls regarding the Philippines.  The phone was then handed to me and the person on the other line asked me various questions about my boxing and training.  Right now, there are two main people working on getting me set up with training in the Philippines and they're looking to set me up at possibly two different locations, two different gyms.  One is at a higher altitude and I like the idea of the increase in intensity and different challenges it'll pose on my body with respect to breathing and whatnot. 
 
"This is really happening", I told myself. 
 
When I was first approached about this, it was just a light discussion but the phone call to the Philippines made it all seem so real.  I was asked if I was excited and I responded with the same answer I gave when asked about me moving back to Canada -- "I'm as excited as I am scared."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Until you actually deal with it and get a divorce, Snickers isn't your business partner. He's still your husband.