As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Switching the Overdose... Tuesday, November 29

Day two of going Keto – high fat, moderate protein, low carbs. I’ve been living on high protein for years, it definitely fuels my training, so making the adjustment to moderate protein is a bit rough. I’m the girl that eats about 60 eggs a week and hasn’t owned butter for over a decade and now they’re telling me to cut my protein consumption in half and go buy butter. This is more of a mental challenge than anything, to tell you the truth, and I feel like it’s making a mockery of everything I’ve been told, taught and heard about eating clean and getting lean. The whole “eat clean to get lean” has morphed into “eat dirty to get lean” because I still can’t wrap my head around the notion of eating foods I stayed far away from. I’m talking about foods like bacon, cheese and fatty meats. What was on the “do-not-eat” list before has now been pushed to the “do eat” list.  

Going to the grocery store tonight to stock my shopping cart full of fatty foods was such a trip – such a mental trip that is. I loaded up on a lot of dips, cheese and nuts. I bought butter… wow.  

I’m only on day two.

I’m loving the fact that I can now make cheese and peanut butter my new favourite food friends but I do miss my bananas and oatmeal. 

My macros on Keto:
5% carbs = 20g
20% protein = 80g
75% fat = 133g

This is a MASSIVE shift in my macros because when I was high protein, Paleo, I was 30% carbs, 50% protein and 20% fat. I don’t know what’s harder, digesting that I’m going from 50% protein to only 20% or from 20% fat to a crazy high 75%.

Today I ate the following…
my morning coffee = instant coffee grinds, coconut oil, hazelnut cream, and peanut butter
2 small coconut almond bites (I shouldn’t have eaten these… too much carbs!)
chicken breast chunks mixed together with raw spinach and gaucomole.
omelette = 3 whole eggs with spinach, broccoli, chili powder and soya sauce
1 caramel macchiato protein shake (after training)
5 spoonfuls of natural peanut butter

I feel like instead of overdosing on protein to build muscle I'm overdosing on fat to lose fat.  Sounds rather ironic but let's see if this works.  Today is day two.

No comments: