As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, January 06, 2017

Birthday Celebrations... Friday, January 6

Headed out for the Captain’s birthday, us “Asians” – Captain Bowtie, Skittles, MaG and me.  

It was Captain Bowtie’s birthday today so I showed up earlier, at his office, and brought him a card and a little cake.  His work had arranged a birthday cake for him, that was nice, and I just happened to arrive right before they presented it to him so I got offered a piece.  That wasn’t so nice though.  Not nice for my Keto that is. I said no once, perhaps twice, but then gave in when the birthday boy personally asked me.  Angel food cake with a bit in devil in it.  The sweetness of it gave me a little tummy ache for the subway ride home.

I was suppose to go sparring tonight, at Fight Club, but the birthday boy insisted I join him for dinner.

HIM:  Let’s go for dinner together tonight!
ME:  I can’t.  I have sparring – the Fight Club.  .
HIM:  Don’t go.
ME:  But it’s only once a week and last week I didn’t go because of Florida.
HIM:  But I only have one birthday a year.

And just like that I canceled my sparring and decided to join him for dinner.

Dinner for two quickly turned into dinner for 4, with me being the only female so I wasn’t going to complain over that.  Sweet.  We met up down in the Distillery District and walked around, checking out a few restaurants before we decided to sit down at this overly fancy-pants French place.  The place was gorgeous but it seemed way too high class and way too pretty for me.  But it wasn’t my choice; it was the birthday boy’s choice.  It really didn’t matter where we went though, that wasn’t the point.  The point was to celebrate a good friend’s birthday, enjoy each others' company, share some laughs, and that's exactly what we did.

… Then I headed to training after dinner.  Got in some solid rounds on the heavy bag.

No comments: