As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Someone Call 9-1-1... Thursday, January 12

I was on fire today, not literally but those who encountered me today may beg to differ.  I was just so hyper.  I was on such a roll, such a high for life and what I'm doing, so incredibly pumped for my workout and pumped even long after my workout when I should have been dead to the world and exhausted.  My brain was working faster than I could even stop to comprehend all it was processing.  

I blame the Hydroxycut Black... Well, that and I just love, love, LOVE what I'm doing.

Every day I'm hustlin', working towards my dream.  The hustle is very much part of the dream and I love it too. 

My day had started off rough though.  I didn't wake up as one of those over annoyingly happy-in-the-morning people who I always tell myself I want to punch in the face and pee on.

[Ouch.... That sounded way to harsh and borderline perverted.]

What's worse than putting an athlete in uncomfortable clothes (aka "regular" clothes) and heeled boots, it's getting them stuck in the pouring rain right before they're to walk into an office packed with perfectly pretty professionals who all sport picture-perfect hair and walk around with their nicely ironed clothes bought from their embarrassingly big and overly intimidating paychecks.  

Yup, that's how my morning started.  

It didn't start raining until I got off at my stop.  I didn't have an umbrella either; I don't own an umbrella.  I'm an athlete; we athletes run through the rain.  Competitive athletes like me always seem to turn the usual activity into a workout.  Everything gets competitive.  Everyone turns into competition.  We run so fast the rain drops can't even catch us.

Ya, okay... "Too far there Amy".  Okay.

Arrived at the Distillery District looking like a drowned rat and then had to sit through lunch wet and cold.

That was how my day started.  

Arrived back home, changed into dry clothes and then sat down to attack my business proposal.  Today I got a mad sweet hook up with a website that offers tips and tools to write a super professional proposal so I was overly focused on that.  It was a bit of a sensory overload in a sense.  I still have so much to do and I feel myself so fixated on sounding smooth with what I'm writing as oppose to getting the numbers and research down for such crucial facts and figures needed. 

I worked about two hours on my business proposal in the morning, another 3 in the afternoon and then 2 more in the evening.  Part of my work on it involved contacting various gyms in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), copying and pasting what I've already wrote but into this new proposal template I'm going with, brainstorming additional ideas, and then bouncing ideas around with a key business mentor, a client of mine and my running coach.  

And then I found out something.

I found out that there are 44 "others" doing what I want to do here in Toronto but no one else is actually doing what it is I want to do.  So in a sense I don't actually have any competition.

And just like that I won big.  Every day I'm hustling; every day I'm winning... But I've already won actually because there is no competition.  The only competition is just me and what's going on in my own head with random moments of sensory overload and occasional doubt.  This is happening though and I'm winning.


No comments: