As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Leaving the City and the Country... Saturday, February 11

At exactly 1:14am today my ticket to the Philippines was bought.

I leave February 28th.

My cash flow in has officially stopped till I return;, I return in June, and my cash flow now only flows in one direction, out.  It's going to continue in this one direction till I return and resume training clients.  One of my clients has paid me in advance so I know for a fact I have her to return to.

It's a bit nerve-racking, very nerve-racking to say the least, and things are really picking up with my personal training and whatnot but I know once I return and launch my Second Dream I may never have the chance to cash in on this amazing opportunity.

I don't want to have any regrets so I'm moving to the Philippines for three months.  

In a little over two weeks, just barely, I'll be leaving Canada and returning to Asia but this time it'll be one my terms and to focus just on me and my training.  The plan is to visit Korea, grab my stuff and tie up loose ends there but a date for that hasn't been made so obviously a ticket hasn't been bought either.  Sometimes I question whether or not I should even go there.  Do I really need closure?!  I know I should go though.  It's the right thing to do plus I really want to see Pacquiao and Pyen Chi again and I want to see the second location of our boxing club.  I anticipate that visit not to be one of could haves, should haves and would haves -- regrets and questioning whether I should have stayed, but one that will only reassure me and reiterate that me leaving was what I needed to do.

I spent a good chunk of the last year and a half in Korea hoping and wishing for things to change, begging for Snickers to change.  But people don't change, they reveal themselves, and no one was going to rescue me except for me because no one really knew what I was going through.  It wasn't their job either, it was mine.  It took a lot of guts on my behalf to mustard up the courage to be the hero in my own story and now, returning to Korea, it isn't about me wanting closure or playing with any "what ifs" but instead it's me standing up for myself in front of them and telling them that it's over, this is where we part ways.  This is their end in my story..  I've exited myself out of their story and I've started a whole new story without them.  Sure I'll thank them in the fine print dedications, thank them for helping me grow thick skin and for bringing my Polish stubborness to an all time embarrassingly high height, but that's pretty much the extent to which they'll get credit for my story, my new life.  And by "them" I mean a certain someone and their family, in all it's "dysfunctioness".

No comments: