As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, February 13, 2017

The Safe is TOO Safe... Monday, February 13

I remember waking up one day, back in my university days, and realizing that I had forgotten the combination to my safe.  I was a full time university student at the time but I was also working as a full time bartender at a club so there was just a much money flowing out of my pocket as there was money flowing in.  I got paid in tips so every time I worked I got paid so I bought a safe.  It was just easier to keep it on hand than to always go to the bank.

I remember that day I woke up and realized I had forgotten the combo.  The safe had both a key lock and a numeric combination lock.  I've since lost the keys to the key lock so I'm out of luck for both locks.  I never got rid of my safe, instead it's lingered at my parents' house where it's sat on my bedroom closet floor for the past 13 years.  Yesterday I paid a lock smith to come to the condo around 11pm and give me an estimate as to how much it'll cost to crack it open.

$250... $200 was his best offer.  I was expecting it to be $100 and wasn't willing to pay any more than that.  I don't even remember what's in it to tell you the truth but I do have my assumptions -- cash, alcohol, and/or panties.  Yes, I said panties as in underwear.  I had a jealous boyfriend at the time and he often made issues about what I was wearing so I hid my underwear.  Assuming cash is in there goes hand-in-hand with why I bought the safe in the first place.  And as for alcohol, I don't really drink but always had small bottles of it on hand just in case friends came over and they wanted to hang out before we hit the town.  It was for them, not me.

There's definitely alcohol in that safe, and now it's broken alcohol bottles.

Picked up the safe at the storage unit and took a crowbar to it... And a screwdriver, a few of them actually, a hammer, and even a drill.  No such luck though.  That safe, as cheap of a safe as some may say it is, isn't going to so easily crack.  I stood on top of it so that it wouldn't flip over or move while a full grown man shimmied that crowbar into the corner of the safe door and then put all his weight on it to pry it open.  It didn't budge.  Wow, impressive but so incredibly frustrating.

The mission continues.  At this point we definitely have to open it.  I've got friends offering advice on how to do it, others curiously awaiting to find out what's in this mystery safe, and I even have the professionals in on this.  This safe will be cracked open before I leave for the Philippines, mark my words!!

No comments: