As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Almost Didn't Happen... Saturday, April 15

I can't say I'm comfortable with training in this weather and I doubt I ever will be but beyond the weather being uncomfortable I'm always trying to train outside of my comfort zone at boxing.  The weather definitely challenges my mental focus.  There's always the desire to want to take a break longer than the round bell appoints and God knows I still struggle with limiting my water intake to small sips as oppose to big gulps of water that leave me with a tummy full of water slushing around and possible cramps during training.

"The magic happens outside of your comfort zone", I was told.
"Comfort is a nicely paved path but no flowers grow on it," is another one I've heard.

I had arrived at boxing today, an hour earlier than usual.  Coach Garry wasn't there.  Coach Arman wasn't there.  Coach Rocky, the coach they're thinking about shifting me to so that I can kick my training up a notch, wasn't even there.

Coach Waldo noticed me and said hi.  I went over to the bench I usually place my stuff on and started gearing up for training.  That's when Coach Waldo approached me.

"Do you want to spar today with me?"

I'll admit it, at first I didn't know if I wanted to.  There was that moment of hesitation when I contemplating telling him I didn't have my sparring gear on me -- my mouth guard and head gear, but I knew full well that I hadn't taken it out of my bag from Thursday's sparring with Coach Garry.

"Sure," was my reply.

And just like that I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, entered the uncomfortable zone face first, and then had to gear up and warm up for sparring.

Best sparring e.v.e.r!!!  And to think, I almost said no.

No comments: