As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Putting It Out There... Wednesday, May 24

Skittles is always telling me to "put it out there... You get back whatever you put into the universe" and he's always encouraging me to keep whatever I put out there positive.  It goes right in line with something I saw on Pinterest the other day...

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

So, on that note, I started my day off by "putting it out there" -- "Today I WILL find my new home. Today I WILL score that coaching position", I proclaimed.  Then I headed out to Makati for day two of house-hunting.  

I saw three condos today, all of them were in the same building I saw the other day -- the Grand Madori.  I love, love, LOVE that building.  Perhaps I should see other condos in other buildings but I just got such a good, feel-good vibe from that place and their pool and gym are pretty sweet.  I really liked two of the three and the broker put an offer for the bigger of the two.  It's not in my price range but the offer he made makes it closer.  Crossing my fingers for that... my fingers, my toes, my arms AND my legs!

As for the coaching position, I had my interview.  I had typed up a proposal the other week for the church I've been attending, proposing a fitness group I want to launch there.  Today I met with their Sports Ministry.  Turns out they've seen me before, out in Eastwood.  I had popped into the grocery store for some food after hitting the gym and one of them noted they were impressed right away by my fit bod, nice.  Our meeting lasted about an hour and a half and though I thought it was a great meeting, it definitely had side tracked and ventured off the path I had hoped it to take.  I left the meeting feeling good but questioning if I wanted to even launch my idea there.  I'm not an official member of their church and I'm not in one of their d-groups.  D-groups are these small groups that meet often and do devotions together.  I told them I'd give it a try and I will but to tell you the truth I really see myself struggling with sharing this very personal part of my life with complete strangers.  

The meeting today focused more so on their d-groups and touched lightly on my proposed group so I was a bit disappointed.  I think with time I could launch my group and I'd be a wicked coach leading it but I think it'd require me to be a part of one of their d-groups first.  Honestly, this doesn't fit my timeline at all.  I wanted to go to Canada and then launch this group upon returning, so like in two and a half weeks, three weeks max.  By the time I launch my next business here, I'd already would have my fitness group training down to an art.  But to join a d-group so that I can through weight on my name at the church and then start my group, it's going to take months and by then I'll be launching my business.  The time for this group is now and I'm not definitely not interested in starting anything new when I'm just starting my business. 

I left the meeting missing my church in Toronto more than I anticipated.

I miss Grant African Church and CCF will never be able to compete with it.  It will never be it for me.  I arrived in Eastwood feeling a bit heartbroken that my church, Grant African, isn't here in the Philippines.  That's the biggest thing that's missing in my life here in the Philippines -- a church where I feel completely 100% comfortable and supported.  

Originally I was only going to visit Canada for a week because honestly I really don't have much reason to stay longer.  I simply have to grab my stuff out of storage and pack certain necessities I need, like my laptop and files.  But I miss my church so I'm staying long enough to attend two services.  I wish I could change my flight so that I arrive in time for Sunday morning service but I can't so I'm arriving late Sunday evening.  

Every Sunday I attend CCF Main I miss Grant African Church more and more.

No comments: