As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 11, 2017

In Athlete Mode Today... Monday, September 11

Construction started at the location of Skittles' next new business and I couldn't be prouder.  I'm super proud of him and have nothing but positive things to say about what he's doing and how he's absolutely killing it but it's hard not to relate it back to my own business and the frustrations I'm having with it going at "Island time" speed here.  

I'm juggling being an entrepreneur with being a pro athlete.  The struggle is real.

People who continually ask me when my business is going to open obviously have never started up their own business nor have they done it in the Philippines.  The speed at which things progress here is much slower than I'm use to, after all I am use to Korea's "bully-bully" ["fast-fast"] speed of life.  And then there's all the red tape and connecting factors and people that are included -- all the "background noise", as I call it.  

And then there are those asking me when I'm going to fight next, as if picking up a fight were that easy.

I'm juggling two jobs that are most definitely 24/7 jobs that pay little, require a lot and require more effort, time and money that most have no understanding of.  They're both two jobs that really don't pay anything until you make it big or make something.  

Today I was more of an athlete than an entrepreneur.  I had boxing in the morning that lasted almost a solid three hours because it consisted of my usual lengthy boxing workout plus six rounds of sparring at 3 minutes a round and then some extra ab work.  I came home exhausted and dripping in sweat.  I then returned later in the evening for functional weight training -- upper body.  I love the energy of the boxing club, the familiarity with all the faces and with being surrounded by others also working hard so I've started to do my weight training there in addition to my boxing.  Plus they have kettlebells, something my condo gym lacks, and I'm a big kettlebell junkie so it seemed like a no brainer.  Usually it'd cost me a session fee to train at my club, regardless of if it was for boxing or weights, but this month I splurged and used a chunk of my bootcamp money to pay for an unlimited month membership at Elite Boxing Club.  It means I can come and go as I please and don't have to count down the sessions till I have to pay again.  Now I have one full month to absolutely milk that unlimited month membership so tonight that's exactly what I did.

No comments: