As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Costs in the Philippines... Wednesday, September 20

500Php, the average pay a person in the Philippines makes in a day.
... that's about $13.51Cdn and less than $2 an hour if they work 8 hours a day.   Most work at least 10.

500Php/$13.51 a day here, so considering that look at the following costs and tell me which are crazy...

4000Php/$108.11, how much one month at Fitness First costs to just use their facility and equipment. 
3000Php/$80.08, the price of one unlimited month of personal training at the boxing club.
15000Php/$40.54, the price of getting my hair dyed with wash-out Manic Panic.
2000Php/$54.05, the cost for Daily Grub to prepare, cook and send me 5 days of food (20 dishes).
600Php/$16.22, the cost to get a cleaning company to clean my condo.
400Php/$10.81, the cost of the average salad at SaladStop.
300Php/$8.11, how much I spend a month to use my cellphone.
250Php/$6.75, the cost of a 1-to-1 personal training session with my coach at the boxing club.
140Php/$3.78, the cost of my coffee at Starbucks.
120Php/$3.24, the cost of a plate of BBQ Chicken and rice at Mang Inasal.
106Php/$2.86, the price of my 30 minute Uber ride.
99Php/$2.68, the cost of my chicken sandwich at Subway.

Which ones stick out as ridiculous?!

I'm making money in the Philippines but as little as that 500Php is a day that the average person makes, I make a little less than that.  I host my Empowered boot camps and get paid to do so but the main purpose of them isn't for cash, it's to further brand myself, show myself to the public as a coach and not just a fighter, and to get people familiar with the name Empowered.  But I do make cash, it's not much but it pays for my training and my food. 

I try to eat as cheaply as possible without negotiating or jeopardizing the nutrition and macros I need to fuel my training and keep me running at tip top shape.  My rule of thumb when I'm eating out alone is to not eat anything that costs more than 150Php, that's about $4.05Cdn.  Eating out at SaladStop, where the average salad is about 400Php, is quite the luxury so unless I'm being treated to it I don't eat there.  I can pretty much eat at any street vendor and the street vendors here are quite legit with the food they offer but I'm not so familiar with the local dishes of the Philippines so I tend to stick to actual restaurants.  Mang Inasal and Subway have become my go-to places with Picnic being my former go-to place.  I stopped going to Picnic ever since I saw how the miserable owner treats her workers and watches them like a hawk.  She creates a hostile environment every time she's there and us customers definitely pick up on it.  Alek Cafe is another cheap but good place to eat as is Pantree, a place that's more like a cafeteria with a selection of restaurants inside its walls. 

I haven't officially started with getting a local food delivery company to plan, cook and delivery my meals but I've signed on with one of them -- the Daily Grub.  My first delivery comes Monday.  They'll be sending me 5 days worth of food -- 3 main dishes and 1 snack dish a day.  I'll be adding to their daily food plan with an added protein shake after training because their calorie count is 1,500 and I need roughly 1,700 for what I'm doing.  

2,000Php for 20 dishes works out to be only 100Php per dish.  Of course the main dishes have more weight than a simple snack dish but for arguement sake and for the sake of justifying the cost, 100Php a dish is super cheap!  Even if you omitted the snacks all together in weighting out the cost, it'd work out to be 133Php a dish for 15 dishs and that's still totally cheap and definitely in line with my thinking regarding not spending more than 150Php per meal.

Of course I don't always eat out for under 150Php but then again I don't always pay for those meals out... wink, wink.

No comments: