As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Training at Hernandez... Tuesday, September 12

Parts of the Philippines were flooded today as the rain came down and just continued to beat down on the country all day.  Consequently, many local businesses were closed for the day and Makati felt somewhat like a ghost town.  Balboa wasn't impressed walking in the rain nor was I very interested in walking in it as I headed out to boxing.

I've been invited by Coach Kristian of Hernandez Boxing here in Makati to train with him at his club so today I headed out for training.  I've trained with him before but we're going to make this a more routine, on-going thing.  He's super technical with how he goes about training, teaching "the sweet science of boxing", and I noted he kept on writing things down in a little notebook.  Training with him is very different than training with Coach Bogs and I think getting a mix of the two will really help my game plus on days I don't train with either, I can hit the boxing club and work on pointers picked up at training.

Hernandez Boxing is a fair sized club but it's tucked away on the fifth floor of City Club, a members only private training facility that consists of a few floors of everything and anything under the sun you could possibly need to get in a solid workout.  From it's Olympic sized pool, basketball court, volleyball court, to its state of the art fitness gym, it's a very modern and very equipped training facility.  It's never busy though and I've been told that's the lure of this place for its members.  Members love the exclusivity of it.  Coach Kristian told me about how the other week when he was in Canada Manny Pacquiao was there training at the gym when he noticed there was a boxing club.  Coach Kristian wasn't able to meet Manny because he was out of the country but stated Manny will be back. 

Ohhhhhh to meet Pacquiao!!!  I'd probably say something silly if I met him, like tell him I named one of my dogs after him, and he'd laugh.  He's such an icon, not only in the boxing world but here in the country, and I'd love to watch him train, see what he does as a typical workout, and see first hand the champ in action. 

I'm really not into celebrities but if there were any famous person I'd love to meet it'd be Pacquiao.  

No comments: