As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Humbling First... Wednesday, November 22

Today was the first day I've ever heard one of the coaches complain about being tired.  

He looked at me, said "I'm exhausted", smiled, and then walked away. 

Today the other two Muay Thai coached aren't here so he's pulling their weight.

It was around 12:30pm when he said this and instantly my heart broke at he notion that he still had a solid 9.5hrs left till work was over for him. He's been working since 6:30am; he's only 6 hours into his 15.5hr work day. 

I had sparring today and it was quite successful but when I heard that particular coach tell me he was exhausted it's almost as if my sparring was nothing. Everything felt so petty and I felt I had no right to complain about anything. I did 6 rounds of sparring, fought my best, but now I get to go home. I get to have a hot shower, eat my lunch, and continue my work in the comfort of my cozy, air conditioned condo. 

Every once in awhile I get these reminders to stay humble and stay grateful.  After all, the worst that can really happen with me launching my business here is I have to return to Canada where I have a big home waiting for me and family that'd take me in with open arms. They'd look after me. 

No comments: