As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

We're All Connected... Saturday, February 10

Every women is your sister, treat her accordingly. This is a quote I posted on my company Instagram page this week but it's one that has a lot importance to me.

I'm all about women supporting women, hello my business is a women-only Clubhouse called Empowered, but I think us women have a responsibility to look out for the younger generation and pass on our advice to them. I know when I lived in Korea, I was always called "Older Sister Amy" by my younger friends and I did really feel like an older sister to them and to my female boxers at my own boxing club.

Just recently I was approached by a younger female boxer who wanted to do a feature on me. Her topic was women empowerment and she said instantly she thought of me. I was asked a series of about 13 questions and then today she came out to the boxing club to do a photoshoot of me while I trained. 

I was flattered she picked me but with it came a lot of personal reflecting. How is it is I embody empowerment, how can I become more empowered and how I can better help empower other women? 

To me, empowerment is all about becoming stronger, more confident, and more in control of not only who you are as a person what you stand for and also your life. So women empowerment is all about women really owning who and what they are and taking the reins to their life. I think I show women empowerment by really owning who I am and being loud and proud of not only what I am but with what I’ve been through, sharing my experiences and struggles, and being real. I think through sharing the ups and downs of my life, it can inspire other women to really mustard up the courage to be whatever and whomever they want. I try to live my life as an example. If I can do it, they can do it too.

No comments: