As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Random Thoughts Today... Tuesday, April 10

Spent way too much time dealing with Korea in Korean and, as the Filipinos say, I got a nose bleed.  There were four of them in Korea I was dealing with, all because of my Korean pro boxing license.  I have to get a letter of authorisation from KBC (the Korean Boxing Commission) but Snickers has taken it upon himself to register me with Boxing Management, KOWSC.  Our fighters at Hulk's are registered with Boxing M but I've been with KBC for years so that adds some confusion to the whole situation.  Instead of things getting lost in translation with me trying to explain what this letter of authorisation is to Snickers and those involved, I simply went and wrote it myself.  Sent it in Word Document and in PDF file form for him to either let them copy and paste on their own letter head or simply print and sign.  It should be that simple, but then again the key word is "simple" and at this point nothing really seems simple with Korea.  The fate of this possible fight now rests on a meeting that is suppose to go down this week.  No pressure.

With preparing for the possibility of this fight... a fight that still has yet to be confirmed, I should note because it depends on a bunch of things -- the needed authorisation letter, GAB issuing me a Philippine license, the promoter's contract, and apparently some kind of financial issue with my opponent... I'm having to readjust my training.

Padwork at the Philippine Army is a hit and miss because they're not use to training any pro fighter for a fight and the coaches works there simply for extra cash, as part timers.  Elite Boxing in Makati also doesn't deal with pro fighters and I don't think both the Philippine Army and Elite Boxing have boxing coaches that can officially stand in my corner for the fight, that's a huge issue.  I talked today with a fellow pro fighter here and he recommended me to train at Team Insider Boxing Gym.  It's out in Poblacion, beside Makati.  The coaches there are more suitable to deal with me and my upcoming fight.  Consequently, I may have just added about 24kms of walking to my weekly training because I agreed to venture to a new boxing club to prepare for this fight. I don't really have the money to afford the training so Ubering it is totally out of the question.

Am pretty sure the female soldiers who work the front desk at the Philippine Army are the only ones who know better than to look at me because I'm white and assume I must have money. They see me pay my daily boxing entrance fee in coins. 

What's worse than dirty gym socks? Dirty gym socks that are also still soaked with sweat from the previous night's boxing.  They were the only ones in my bag though so after walking 2.5kms to the Philippine Army and discovering this, it was either put them on or call it a night and go home.  I put them on... obviously.  

No comments: